Program policies & requirements:
- Due to the large volume of applicants, incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent in after the deadline will be considered for the following class.
- All Kiva Fellows must speak fluent English and be at least 21 years old.
- Fellows must have access to a working laptop for use during training and during the entirety of the fellowship.
Kiva Fellows are an incredibly diverse group of individuals, from a wide range of professional backgrounds. In addition to meeting the minimum requirements outlined above, we are seeking candidates who share the following skills and characteristics:
- Experience traveling or living abroad (preferably in developing countries, for applicants interested in serving overseas)
- High degree of flexibility, self-motivation and problem solving
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Fluency in English
- Strong writing skills
- Familiarity and comfort with technology and web-based applications
- Dedication to working in the field
- Experience working in cross-cultural environments
- Ability and commitment to fund the entire fellowship
- Excellent judgment
- Sincere interest in microfinance and serving Kiva’s mission
- Ability to commit to Kiva for 4+ months
Additional preferred skills and characteristics include:
- Fluency or advanced communication ability in French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, or other languages from a country where Kiva has a presence
- Background in economics, finance, business or consulting
- Background in media, journalism, or communications
- 5+ years of work experience